GT Garden Club
The club, founded in 1971, celebrated its 51st anniversary in 2022. We maintain all the gardens in the Green Tree Municipal Park and hold regular meetings with programs related to gardening. We welcome new members, both experienced gardeners and beginners. If you would enjoy working in the garden, learning from other members and sharing your expertise, contact Membership Chair Roni Conard at 717.747.6565 or President Kevin Maurer at 412.922.8816.
|The mission of this organization shall be to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening and the natural world for its members and the regional community through educational programming, related field activities and outreach.|
||2nd Thursday of the month (typically)|
|Time||Time varies, check meeting calendar|
|Location||Carlisle Social Hall
825 Poplar Street
|Contact Person||Kevin Mauer / 412.922.8816|
|*If you would like to attend as a guest, please email us at email@example.com.|
Programs begin at 12:15 pm in the Carlisle Social Hall at 825 Poplar Street (Green Tree Fire Station), unless otherwise noted.
- Thursday, February 9: "Houseplant Care: The Basics" presented by Chris Stewart and Danielle Trippoli of Dormont Florist.
- Thursday, March 16: "Co-existence with Critters: A Gardener’s Guide” presented by Katie Campbell and Sandi Comunale of the Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh.
- Thursday, April 13: “The Magnificent Mushroom” by Luke Mitchell of Mitchell’s Mushroom Farm. This program will take place at 7:15 p.m.
- Thursday, May 11: “Preparation for the 2023 Spring Festival.”
- Thursday, June 15: “A Close-up Look at our Hidden Jewel, the Municipal Garden” presented by members of the GTGC Municipal Garden Committee. This program will take place at 7:15 pm in the Municipal Garden located behind the Green Tree Borough Municipal Building (weather permitting).
- Thursday, July 13: “Gardening for Pollinators” by Dr. Mark Miller, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden. This program will take place at the Pittsburgh Botanic Garden at 10:00 am. Reservations are required.
- Thursday, August 10: “Flavor Your Life: Growing Your Own Herbs and More” by Joan Kugler, Penn State Master Gardener. This program will take place at 7:15 p.m.
- Thursday, September 14: “The Art of Bonsai” by Ed Baginski of the Pittsburgh Bonsai Society. This program will begin at 12:30 pm following our annual Municipal Workers Recognition Luncheon at 11:00 am in the Sycamore/Hemlock Room of the Municipal Center.
- Thursday, October 12: “Birding 201” by Chris Kubiak, Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania". This program will take place at the Buffalo Creek Nature Park. Reservations are required.
- Thursday, November 9: “Holiday Wreath Making” by Megan Pattinato This program will take place at 7:15 p.m.
Reservations are required for all field trips, and guests pay a modest fee for transportation and lunch. Transportation is via bus or carpool.
- Thursday, April 27: Mitchell's Mushroom Farm, Murrysville, PA
- Friday, June 2: Ginny and John Ambrose's City Garden, Lawrenceville, PA
- Wednesday, June 21 and Thursday, June 22: Hershey Gardens and Penn State Aboretum
- Monday, July 10: Carol Wojcicki's Hybrid Daylily Garden, Eight Four, PA
- Thursday, July 20: Schwirian Farm Sunflower Festival, Monongahela, PA
- Thursday, August 24: Raccoon Creek State Park Wildflower Reserve, Hookstown, PA
The GTGC supports itself and its community activities by donations and the following fundraisers. Outdoor Plant Sales take place in the parking lot of the Green Tree Fire Hall.
- Sale of Enjoy Coupon Books- November through January (contact Karen Maurer 412.922.8816)
- Mother's Day Geranium Sale- Saturday, May 13 (10:00 am -3:00 pm)
- Spring Plant Sale- pre-sale during the month of April (contact Kevin Maurer 412.922.8816)
- Green Tree Garden Club Spring Festival- Saturday, May 13 (10:00 am -3:00 pm)
- Bake Sale
- Plant Sale
- Craft Show
- Flea Market
- Outdoor Lunch Cafe
- Basket Raffle
- Children's Scavenger Hunt
- Hardy Mum and Aster Sale - Saturday, September 9m (9:00 am - 1:00 pm)
- Booth at the Green Tree Octoberfest
- Spring Bulb Sale - pre-sale during the month of September (contact Kevin Maurer 412.922.8816)
- Monthly flower arrangements in the Green Tree Library reading area.
- Seasonal arrangements for the Municipal Building atrium and Police Department
- Yearly support for the students in the horticultural department at Bidwell Training Center
- Philanthropic support for local garden and nature related organizations
For further information about the Green Tree Garden Club, call Kevin Maurer at 412.922.8816.