Collection for garbage is every Wednesday and recycling is collected every other Wednesday and is collected by Waste Management (WM). All items for collection should be placed at the curb any time after 5:00 pm on Tuesday and no later than 6 am on Wednesday morning. Emptied containers should be removed from the curb by 9:00 pm Wednesday. Use the recycling calendar below to determine which week your street it scheduled for recyclables.
|Holiday Week Schedule. If the holiday falls on a weekend, garbage/recycling pickup WILL NOT be delayed. If your service day lands on or after a holiday in a given week, service will occur one day later. Follow the calendar magnet.
Holidays observed by Waste Management are: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.
|If service is missed contact WM at 800.866.4460.
You can also check service pick-up eta on their website.
What would you like information on:
- Recycling Calendar
- Other Green Tree Recycling Opportunities
- Other Recycling Resources
One (1) Large Item and up to 15 garbage bags per week
- Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and water coolers must have certified technician to remove Freon, and appropriate sticker indicating freon has been removed. Appliance Warehouse offers free DROP OFF and recycling of old refrigerant containing appliances. Call 888.463.7366 (888-GO-FREON) for more information and list of vendors who remove Freon possibly for a fee.
- Refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed.
- Washers, dryers, dishwashers, stove, hot water heaters, telephone of any type, automated typewriters, portable handheld calculator, portable digital assistance, MP3 player, coffee machine, toaster, toaster oven, and bicycles
- Mattress/Box Spring are considered 1 item. Should it be raining/snowing between outdoor placement and collection, mattresses, couches/chair cushions MUST be covered in plastic. If these materials get too wet, they will be too heavy for trash collectors to lift.
- Toilets, remove tank unless a one-piece toilet.
- Lightbulbs incandescent and halogen bulbs can be thrown away in regular garbage, however CFL and LED bulbs and fluorescent tubes must be recycled.
- Carpeting is accepted but must be cut into 4' sections and rolled, tied/taped securely into bundles weighing no more than 40 lbs.
- Push mowers must have all gas and oil drained and dry for 24 hours.
- Paint cans with lids off. All paint must be solidified. This can be done by either using an actual solidification material purchased, sawdust, or kitty litter. Paint must be completely solid and dry.
- Lawn clippings, weeds, vines, twigs, shrubs/hedges, garden plant should be bagged and not weigh more than 40 lbs. Tree branches should be no more than 36" long, bound together and not weighing more than 40 lbs.
Microwaves, insecticides, pesticides, oil, gas, free flowing liquids, lead based paint, propane tanks, hazardous waste, chemical products, flammables, antifreeze, medical waste, asbestos, construction debris (e.g., wood, drywall, plaster, kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, countertops, etc.), rocks, gravel, bricks, concrete, cement, dirt, sod, tree stumps, any car parts, tires, all hot tubs parts (excluding covers), basketball hoop pole, riding mowers, 55-gallon drums, batteries, cast iron items, and railroad ties.
Televisions, computer equipment (including monitors, CPUs, laptops, printers, scanners, keyboard/mouse, speakers, and any other devices that connect to a computer). These items can be recycled at Green Tree's annual Electronic Recycling Event.
Call 800-866-4460 to reach the Waste Management dispatch, the representatives will work with you to ensure that your materials are picked up. You may also Waste Management website for live chat and email options.
When severe winter weather becomes a hindrance to the safety of Waste Management employees, operations may be suspended until conditions improve. Service alert updates will be available at Waste Management.
When the amount of garbage exceeds 15 bags and/or bulky waste exceeds 1 large item, this shall constitute a special collection. Contact Waste Management at 800-866-4460 or other dumpster companies to make arrangements for an additional fee.Back to Top
Empty/rinse all containers, attach lid and place loose in the recycling can - NO PLASTIC BAGSNote: Special recycling containers have been provided to each home and are the property of the Borough of Green Tree. When moving please leave the recycling container with the home. If container is lost, stolen, or damaged you will need to purchase a new container of similar size and place clearly visible recycling stickers on it. With out the recycling sticker, it will be mistaken for trash.
- Glass bottles and jars, plastics #1 and #2 (no clam shells or plastic containers that are used to hold automotive fluids or toxic chemicals), metal food and beverage cans, aluminum and bi-metal cans, paper, computer paper, magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and phone books. Cardboard bundles no larger than 14"x14".
- Cardboard should be flattened and bundled. Bundles larger than 14"x14" should be placed outside the recycling can.
- Shredded paper, foam, light bulbs, glass (i.e. mirrors, cooking containers/bowls), food boxes with food debris (i.e., pizza boxes, etc.).
Back to Top
Other Green Tree Recycling Opportunities
Aluminum Can Recycling Bin
Collection bin for aluminum cans is available on Poplar Street, in the parking lot by Wilson Pool. Food cans are typically not aluminum, so please do not place those in the Aluminum Recycling Bin. Green Tree Rotary recycles the aluminum cans and uses the proceeds to fund a variety of local charitable projects. Please consider separating your aluminum cans for this worthy cause.
Fall Leaf Collection
Public Works will have curbside leaf pickup in the Fall of every year. Dates will be announced on our website and social media. Rake your leaves curbside, not on the street. The compost from the leaves will be placed at Green Tree Park for residents to use.
Christmas Tree Collection
Public Works will have curbside Christmas tree pickup in January of every year. Dates will be announced on our website and social media. The compost from the Christmas trees will be placed at Green Tree Park for residents to use.
Electronic Recycling Event
Green Tree sponsors one electronic recycling event a year for residents. Recycle your television(s), laptop(s), CPUs, monitors, speakers, mice, keyboards, printers, game consoles, radios, VCRs, DVD players, remove controls, cell phones, stereos, cameras, and mixed electronics at that time.
Prescription Drug Collection Unit
Collection boxes for prescription medication/patches/ointments, over the counter medication, vitamins, samples, and medications for pets are available at the Municipal Center located at 10 W. Manilla Avenue. There is a box located outside of the Administrative Office and the Library.
Flag Recycling Bin
Collection bin for worn and/or torn flags is available at the Municipal Center located at 10 W. Manilla Avenue. The bin is located outside of the Administrative Office.
Back to Top
Other Recycling Resources
|Allegheny County Health Department
Provides information about hard-to-recycle items and published the "Recycling Resource Directory" that gives information about where specific materials can be recycled.
Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC) leads and promotes individual and collective action to prevent waste and conserve PA's environmental resources for each generation. Learn about home composting, rainwater harvesting, how to dispose of household hazardous waste, watershed protection and so much more.
62 S. 6th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Drop off appliances for free and also accept polystyrene (this does not include food containers or peanuts).
|Reusable Construction Material|
Items have to be in suitable condition for donation that another customer can buy them. Donors are asked that materials are wiped down and clean prior to bringing them and may be declined by on-site staff upon inspection.
|Metal Recycling Centers|
|AAA Scrap Metals
3351 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Castriota Metals & Recycling
1200 Saw Mill Run Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
George Warhola Scrap Metal
203 Chesbro Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Northside Scrap Metals
825 Pennsylvania Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
Back to Top